Sunday 11 November 2012

The Queens Birthday


I have been wondering how to celebrate my birthday during the summer, it usually passes by without too much fuss due to it being mid July when everyone goes away. This year I thought I might do something a little more special but had been struggling to think of what, thankfully on Monday I found my inspiration.

Leaving the S-Tog at Osterport station a couple of friends and I joined the groups heading down to Amelienborg. There were lines of nursery age children already prepared with great armfuls of flags bubbling their way down the road. The little girls were resplendent in their Disney Princess dresses, a vibrant pink crocodile inching it's way to the palace. Once there we joined the enormous crowd that had gathered for the moment when the balcony doors open and the royal family step forward. At 12 p.m on the 16th of April, Her Majesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark, walked out into the piercing blue light. The crowd clapped and cheered as she acknowledged us all with a wave or two.

Joinng her and Prince Henrik were their two sons, Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joakim alongside their own families. After a couple of minutes spent waving the Queen crossed her arm over her torso and raised it into the air three times, each salute bought with it a loud echoing "hurra" from the crowd as is the custom. The Queens guard in all their splendid costume provided the music, a tune I did not recognize as well as the world famous Happy Birthday to you...

Retreating into what must have been by comparison a silent drawing room the Royal Family again returned to the balcony for an encore and yet more waving. Finally just the Queen and her elder grandchildren came out for one last wave before they disappeared inside to begin the rather more private family celebrations.

As I say, in July I shall celebrate my own birthday and feeling inspired I will do so by standing on the patio (we don't have a balcony) in front of the adoring crowd, (my boys will have flags, they can stand on the grass in front). After a rendition of Happy Birthday (on the iPod due to lack of soldiers) I shall raise my arm and be greeted by three rousing "hurra's" (I'm assuming my other half will cheer the loudest). We shall then withdraw into the house for a very royal supper, well, my name does mean Princess!
Hurra.. Hurra... Hurra

No comments:

Post a Comment