Sunday 30 December 2012

The Art of Delicate Lighting


This is the time of year when I do not expect to see the sun. Not today, not tomorrow and possibly not even till next week. I don't even notice it's absence any more, after five years I know the seasons well enough and am accustomed to the grey skies that cradle the skyline. It makes me happy that I now notice the sun when it is out and will sit gratefully in it's light with my eyes closed trying to soak up as much of the brightness as I can till the clouds once again envelope it's piercing rays. Not something to take for granted, a connection to the present and to living. At this time candles take on a new importance, they bring warmth and a dancing light to our home. I always light a few, scattered around the living room to brighten the atmosphere through out the day. I have church candles in some extra large vintage Swedish Jam Jars that sit on the tables glowing as reassuringly as a lighthouse must in the darkness.
My comfort.



Tea lights I haven't mastered, I have never found the 'right' holders for them and they sit clumsily around the edges of our rooms. My efforts to light the gingerbread houses last week resulted in a shelf topped with caramel, a rather sticky reminder of the Christmas season.

So I was completely delighted when I opened a parcel containing these beautiful porcelain tea light holders. They are made by my cousin's wife, Sarah May Rogers in her studio in England and I love them. My Mother had seen them and knowing me as she does thought that I might like them and bought them for me for Christmas. 



Once lit I thought they were so lovely I just had to take some pictures to share with iScandineighbour! 

So "thank you" to my Mum for such a special present and "thank you" to Sarah May for sharing your creativity. I will treasure them.

I really recommend keeping an eye on Sarah May's website, she updates it regularly with some incredible pieces of work. 

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sally for the lovely comments! I'm glad my candle holders are bringing some warmth and light to your Scandi home! X

    ReplyDelete