Saturday 2 February 2013

Bowling Party Biscuits


We finally celebrated our six year old's birthday today with the party he has been waiting so patiently for.

As soon as he said he said he would like a bowling party I knew I wanted to try these iced biscuits for the party bags. With the benefit of both time and internet shopping I was fully prepared for a quick baking session yesterday. I had ordered a bowling pin biscuit cutter and the brightest shiniest edible paint for those finishing touches from England and they arrived looking even better than I hoped. The overall plan was somewhat altered by the addition of an unwell three year old but four hands can be better than two.



So the littlest chap and I set to work together, mixing our failsafe biscuit dough from Nigella's Domestic Goddess. It went into the fridge for an hour while we played puzzles and then we got on to the rolling out. I find it works best if we each have our own space for rolling and cutting. The two of us have very different ideas on how to get the maximum yield from one roll out of dough so we split it and work independently.



Fast forward to this morning and an early start to get the icing finished so that it had time to set before going into the bags. The pins were white, finished off with navy blue details. The bowling balls I filled in white before painting with the red shiny edible paint. The final touches were some finger holes and a number 6 in honour of the birthday boy.

Once finished we put them in a white paper bag stapled shut with a navy ribbon. The birthday boy and I were very happy with them. I cannot pretend that most children wouldn't prefer a colourful goodie bag filled with sweeties and toys but for such a straightforward party it was nice to add a touch of home.




No comments:

Post a Comment