Sunday 11 November 2012

Canal Tour


My eldest son is an adventurer, never happier than when he is near to the top of the tree in our garden waving frantically at me to come and take a picture of his daring exploits. I try to remain nonchalant and proud as I watch my first born launch through the branches before jumping from a height far greater than I care to measure. Last summer he persuaded his younger by three years brother, to join him and as a result I too found myself swaying precariously through the branches of the tree in our garden in order to rescue the now firmly stuck child. I naturally chose the safest path down and proceeded to lose all dignity trying to remove my foot from it's stubborn resting place two feet above my head.
That's the thing about my boys, they like a little bit of danger. The chance to push a boundary and scare their mother halfway up a tree. Which brings me neatly onto the canal boat ride through Copenhagen. To be honest it is a rather more sedate affair than I might have built it up to be and a journey I have taken many a time whilst introducing visitors to the city, my last trip was for my father and my cousin although actually neither of them would have turned down an adrenalin ride were it offered.
There are two companies offering guided tours, both of which leave from Nyhavn throughout the year. During the colder,wetter, windier months it would be wise to take the covered boat especially as the wind really does pick up once you leave the shelter of the canal lanes. In summer prepare to journey down Nyhavn canal to the sounds of a city enjoying it's surroundings. Nyhavn will be packed with both locals and tourist's enjoying the atmosphere and a glass or two along the canal side, it makes a great visual memory of Copenhagen.
You will have numerous photo opportunities as you pass by Christianshavn, The Black Diamond, the National Museum and of course out to see the Little Mermaid. Very knowledgable, the tour guides are usually fluent in Danish, English, French and German and probably others too if you ask. They will provide a running commentary as you pass from one view to the next.
Once you are on the move your guide will give you a run down of the rules and regulations for passengers. I cannot remember them all but I do know I reinstated the need to sit down and not lean over the side of the boat to see how cold the water really is. Alongside, yes, a boat at speed going through a tunnel could break your arm (neck if standing) upon entering, so no, lets not test the theory. It's not that Grandpa is irresponsible, more that he remembers fondly a boyhood spent testing how cold the water was and the older boys enjoyed his version of the tour hugely!
The danger element kept us mostly entertained/nervous for the hour it took to complete the circuit, a bread roll and drink helped for the rest of the time. Everyone enjoyed the trip and we all learnt things we hadn't previously known about this city we call home. I will continue to take visitors on the tour as it is a great way of introducing Copenhagen, besides as I say, on a beautiful day the atmosphere is unbeatable.
Our garden is once again ready to embrace the exploits of the boys as they burst out the door eager to explore their mini world. Although the five year old is now a little taller and a little more confident, I like to believe they both learnt hugely from the 'day Mama had to climb the tree and got stuck'.....

No comments:

Post a Comment